Sunday, January 23, 2011

Color Purple Post 1- Celie

In the story "The Color Purple," the main character is Celie and the whole book are her letters to g@d. In her letters she writes about her days living as Mr.___'s wife. She tells about how she feels about herself and others, giving us a idea of who she is.
In this story, I can tell that Celie either doesn't live in the USA or lives in a place with very few white men. It seems to me that the laws are also not obeyed in this area, because women are being treated as servants. In the beginning of the book, Celie talks about her life living with her mom and dad. Her mom treats Celie really bad, but Celie abides to it believing that she shouldn't hate her mom not matter what she does. From this I can tell that Celie is a nice person with a good heart and she is someone who doesn't believe in violence.
In one her letters she states that she does not look at guys but she looks at girls instead. She also has a letter where she looks at Shug Avery naked and she doesn't feel as a women looking at her but as a man. From this I can tell that she likes Shug Avery and I feel sad for her, because she was forcefully married to Mr.___ without even loving him. In the quote, "I spend my wedding day running from the oldest boy," I can tell how terrible she is treated. Even when she is a married women, her new children make her miserable and she doesn't find happiness
In page 25, Mr.___ tells her to, "He tell me, wash this, iron that, look at this. Look for that. Find this. Find that. He groans over his socks." From this quote I can tell that most of what she does is not for herself, but for Mr.___, she is being treated as a slave and that's not right. the way they treat women in this book's era should be illegal.
So far, I'm finding this book to be not that interesting but I hope that i will find it interesting as I go further in.

No comments:

Post a Comment